I decided it was time to start tidying up the slim strip of raspberry bushes and odd plants down the edge of plot 51. I’ve already cleared a spot for the gladioli, it’s strange that the 12 mixed bulbs all turned out to be red and there’s also my hollyhock bed. The rest of the strip is weed infested raspberry bushes and a huge clump of montbretia (crocosmia) and some compost bins. I first cleared a spot of willowherb and bindweed and then moved two of the compost bins into the space and then wondered… ‘What else can I do with the space?’
I had a spare plastic bin and so decided to use it to make some comfrey tea. It fitted easily into the cleared space and so all I had to do was fill it with the spiky stemmed leaves. I have a patch of comfrey that was already in place when I took over the plot and although it’s not in an ideal spot It’ll do. I chopped the unruly bushes down by 50% and filled the bin, packing the stems and leaves down.
With the comfrey wedged into place I took the hosepipe and filled the bin with water and put the lid back on. I didn’t bother putting any weights on the leaves as it was filled to the brim and I’m sure it’ll rot down well enough. It’s in a south facing position and should have the sun on it most of the day, this will aid the fermentation/rotting process. Previously I tried this method in a bucket and it produced a brown, noxious and foul-smelling tea that my greenhouse plants seem to like; it does smell like a farmyard under the glass for several days after using it.
I’ll leave the thinning out of the weeds and raspberry canes until later, maybe until it comes to pruning, until then I’ll keep picking and enjoying the red fruit.