13.05.20. The weather forecast has been a bit up and down the past week, with sunshine one day and the threat of frost the next. I checked my weather app this morning and saw that the predicted –2 for tonight was changed to a forecasted 3 degrees. (BTW at my house in Italy the daily temperatures are currently 26 degrees). It’s sunny on the plot today and the two peony plants are in flower, giving the impression that all is good with the weather.
Other plot holders have got their beans in the ground already and so paying no heed to the old adage of, casting nowt and clouts until may is out I get out the trowel.
I’m feeling semi-brave,so erring on the side of caution, I only plant out 6 of my 14 runner bean plants. They’ve been doing really well in the greenhouse and have started to twine around each other, so I’m guessing it’s time they had something to grow up and should mother nature betray me I’ll still have others to put out at a later date.
I’ve been given some French bean plants and I’ve already earmarked a spot for them, so it’s more raking and hoeing to get the area ready for them and using an old piece of metal rebar; the kind used in foundations, I make a trellis to assist them on their climbing journey.
Another couple of jobs done and I cut some peonies to take home and hope that the forecast won’t change.
14.05.20 – Woke up to a frost on the front lawn, I hope my beans are okay, but I’ll wait until tomorrow when I go to water the pots in the greenhouse. Fingers crossed all will be well.